Saturday, January 12, 2013

Project Updates!

I am really excited about the projects that students are currently working on! Many of these projects, I created myself this past summer and it is wonderful to see my students so excited and enthusiastic during the production process.

The 1st grade students are still busy working on their Jasper Johns inspired artworks. As I mention several weeks ago, I have split the 1st graders into two groups. While one group is painting, the other has been working on fall self-portraits. Next week, students will be finishing these portraits. We still have another couple of weeks worth of work on our paintings though. They are looking really awesome! I thought I would give you a sneak peek.


The 3rd grade students are currently working on an observation project. For this project, students are studying a picture of their favorite animal and are creating a watercolor drawing based upon their observations. Despite this being a difficult task, students are doing a fantastic job! They are really focusing on the positives of their accomplishments rather than any accidents or mistakes. :)


The 5th grade students are working on collages based on paleoart (dinosaur art). Students began making their collage backgrounds this week. Students looked through several different magazines to find interesting textures, patterns, and colors. They used their finds to create the different elements of their landscape backgrounds.




Last update for this week comes from the Art Club. Students in Art are learning about the works of Alexander Calder. First, we looked at several of his artworks, including his wire circus, mobiles, and stabiles. Then we read the book "Sandy's Circus" by Tanya Lee Stone. Using both the artworks and book as inspiration, students this week began their own wire sculptures. Students were given three pieces of wire and spent this week's meeting bending and twisting them into unique forms.



1 comment:

  1. This is good. Ismael has been telling me about his work, I can't wait to see what he produces. I sooo want him to be a well-rounded kid

    ReplyDelete