Sunday, May 12, 2013

Do you have a cold?


I have been asked that question a lot this week. It started Thursday morning and got progressively worse. Yesterday, I woke up with a 100 degree fever and was so sore. Not fun. I couldn't even bring myself to post this week's update. Thankfully, I am feeling a lot better today :)

Despite my cold, I still had a great time in the Art room this week. Students are so disappointed in the fact that we only have three more weeks of art this school year. Because time is running out, they are working hard to finish their projects and even harder to have fun creating their works before summer arrives.

The K5 started the day on Thursday working on their Pattern Dragons. This week they began adding color using markers.

I love how these are turning out so far! Students are having a lot of fun imagining how their dragon will look. They have really been creative!

The 1st graders this week are continuing to work on their face jug artworks. This week, we added a very thin layer of tempera paint to our drawings to give it a dusty clay look.

On a side note, the 3rd grade finished their puppets this week (check out their creations in the post below). Since they have not had a free draw opportunity in a while, I decided to see what they could come up with. One student created the drawing below. I loved how much character this little guy had. He called him "Drew" because he "drew him on his paper".

The 5th grade is continuing to work hard on their watercolor landscapes. A lot of students were surprised to see how different watercolors are than the typical tempera or acrylic paints that they use commonly. Many students had to do a little bit of practicing before they created their final artworks, but I think for their first time using watercolor, they are doing a fantastic job!

The K4, Friday afternoon, continued working on printmaking processes. This week, we created monoprints. A thin layer of black tempera paint was spread onto a piece of aluminum foil. Students drew their design in the tempera using a cotton swab. After students completed their design, we laid a piece of paper on the aluminum foil, the student rubbed the paper thoroughly and then gently pulled the paper up revealing their print.

Lastly, the Art Club Big students are finishing up their 8-bit quilts. They look amazing!!! Here is a sneak peek at how they are looking...

I will be posting pics of those finished quilts next week!

Now that I have been thinking about it while writing this post, it is hard for me to believe that we only have 3 weeks left! There is still so much that I wish that I could teach and sooo many projects I wish that my kiddos could work on! August will come back around before I know it though. In a few weeks, I will reveal the theme for the next school year. I can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment