Saturday, May 4, 2013

Art Show and Updates!

Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2nd annual Art Night! It was incredibly successful! The artwork looked great on display and I was so happy to see students so excited about their art. I even had one student run up to me and say, "Mrs. Chance! I am a real artist!" :) I am so proud of all the work students accomplished this year. Congrats students!!!!



Even though the art show has come and gone, we will still be working hard until the end of the year. Many students will be starting new projects in the coming weeks (look for pics of their finished projects next week!) The K5 students just started a new project. We read the book Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin. I am in love with this book...very clever and funny and the illustrations by Daniel Salmieri are fantastic! After reading the book, students drew their own long dragons. We will be filling the dragons bodies with pattern, a Principle of Design. Along with their dragon, students drew a food that their dragon loves. My example loved cheeseburgers :)




The 5th grade students are working on their South Carolina landscapes. Students practiced using watercolor paints last week and applied their practice to one of their final artworks this week. Students will make three landscapes total. Here are some of the examples from Friday.




The K4 students are beginning a printmaking unit. They will be creating three different prints using three different techniques. This week we created prints with bubble wrap. Students painted the bubble wrap bubble side up using tempera paint. I helped the students hold the bubble wrap as they painted and I also helped them flip it onto the paper. The students pressed the bubble wrap onto the paper and gently lifted it up revealing their print. They were so excited! It was almost like magic to them :) Not to mention, the prints turned out really well! I will have pics of them next week.



As I said, make sure to check back next week. I am going to be posting a lot of finished projects and progress pics!

 

1 comment: